Windows emerged as one of the most user friendly operating system we have been using since many years. With the advent of technology, world is moving towards a distributed environment. Our businesses have been utilizing services of different providers for hosting, data centers, and corporate services. Not all of those providers offer a full range of services that our businesses need.
Looking at that requirement, Microsoft has announced Windows Azure utilizing Microsoft infrastructure running in MS data centers. Microsoft has offered a full range of services. If a business is using Microsoft technologies it could be one of the best solutions for you. Here is what Windows Azure may offer:
- It provides a development, hosting and service management environment.
- It is an open platform that supports both Microsoft and non-Microsoft languages and environments.
- You may use its run time capabilities like ASP.Net, IIS 7.0 and .Net 3.5 just to name a few.
- Web portal to deploy, utilize and upgrade your services
- Its data storage supports authentication, and replication.
Just imagine using services on internet already available on Windows Azure for your business:
- Windows Live
- Office Live
- Exchange Online
- Sharepoint Online
- Dynamic CRM Online
At a glance this is what services are being provided:
As per the figure, Windows Azure runs on multiple machines, all located in Microsoft data centers and accessible via the Internet. Windows Azure computing services are based on Windows.
Community Technology Preview (CTP) was made available in fall 2008. Microsoft has allowed to run .Net framework based applications on this new platform. MS has plans to support unmanaged code as well in future. A lot of details may be found at www.microsoft.com/azure/default.mspx